I and two others sailed from Rio De Janeiro in Brazil to St. Maarten Island in the Caribbean aboard a 67ft Round The World 'Challenger' yacht . The non-stop passage which took twenty seven days was the longest that I have ever been off-shore. During the journey we covered approximately 3,350Nm. As the vessel was not fitted with any form of ‘auto pilot’ I had to helm for eight out of every 24 hrs. The name of the yacht was 'SY 2041'.
- I moved to the Sultanate of Oman in the Middle East and took up the position of CEO, at International Quarry & Crusher Co LLC., a company engaged in producing crushed stone products. Which means that I am actually ‘selling sand to the Arabs’!!
- Put myself forward as a candidate for election to Ireland’s National Parliament and contested the 2011 General Election. Although not successful in gaining a seat in Parliament I did secure the highest number of votes of any first time Independent candidate. Was a founder member and spokesman for a non party political organisation (‘New Vision’), which had twenty one affiliated Independent candidates in the General Election.
I ran in the Dublin North East constituency and received 1,750 first preference votes and a further 1,245 in transfers. I was finally eliminated on the fifth count with a total of 2,995 votes, which I consider to be a very respectable performance for a first time candidate. I am deeply indebted to all those who supported and voted for me.
I was invited by the Editor to write for Ireland’s largest circulation broadsheet newspaper (Sunday Independent) on political/social/economic matters. I was happy that all my articles whether in the Business or Analysis sections, were always printed verbatim.
- Secured backing and funding from the High Potential Start Up division of Enterprise Ireland for my internet based start up company, Will You Tell Me.com.
- Won five perpetual trophies as Genoa trimmer aboard ‘Tiger’ (class 1 racing yacht).
- I was awarded a Masters in Business Administration from the University of Dublin, Trinity Collage having completed the MBA course (one year, full time).
- Secured position of Genoa trimmer on a Class 1 racing yacht (Tiger, HYC) – results to date include 1st on Echo & 2nd on IRC HYC Autumn League, 1st overall (IRC & Echo) in series 2 and series 3 of the Howth Yacht Club race series. I also crewed on a Corby 25 during Cork Week Regatta (500 participating yachts).
Won third place in the second Dun Laoghaire Regatta while racing in class 2
I competed in the Isle of Wight ‘Round the Island’ race and we finished 57th out of 1,850+ starters.
Established my website and blog at www.EamonnBlaney.com
- I was appointed Business Development Manager of mobile telecoms Public Limited Company (London AIM), Vimio plc.
- Won first place in the inaugural Dun Laoghaire Regatta while racing in class 2
- I was awarded the all Ireland master franchise for a business consultancy practice from Initiatives in Business Development Limited which are based in the UK. Although I had completed my training with them and was very close to launch I took up the offer of employment with Vimio plc. It was as they say an offer you couldn’t refuse.
- I obtained a provisional patent on a new type of razor blade, which has since gone into production with the Gillette Company (2007)
2000 – 2004
I have attended three Anthony Robbins personal development seminars. In 2000 I completed the 4-day “Unleash the Power Within” seminar, which was held in London. I also completed the five-day “Date with Destiny” seminar, 2001. In 2004 I completed the UPW in London for a second time. I have completed several other personal development courses and have a constant interest in increasing my knowledge in this area.
I was responsible for the design, planning and implementation of www.ticn.com . The site presently receives 10,000 unique hits per week. I was also responsible for the implementation, customisation and integration of Goldmine Front Office CRM system with the website and within the company, which was used concurrently in 10 locations across 5 countries.
I was assistant Director of Elections in the 1994 European Parliament elections. Pro rata, the area that I was responsible for (Co. Mayo) recorded the highest percentage increase in the vote for the candidate. The candidate was elected.
I designed and was project manager during the construction of a nightclub in Letterkenny. My role encompassed everything from liaising with the architects and contractors to specifying the sound and lighting systems. The project lasted eighteen months and was completed on time and on budget.
I have achieved over 20 class wins in Rallying out of approx 30 events. In 1993 I was 3rd, 1994 I was 2nd and in 1995 I won 1st in class in the Willie John Dolan Border Championship, which is held over 7 events throughout the season. I also achieved 1st in Class on several International rallies in a car that I built and maintained myself including personally carrying out engine and gearbox rebuilds as required.
Exhibitor – Young Scientist Exhibition (exhibit was ‘Highly Commended’). Once an innovator….. 🙂